Little Italy Lodge OSIA #2286 Foundation, Inc.
La Famiglia Scholarship Program Application – 2020
The La Famiglia Scholarship Program provides financial support for educational purposes to Little Italy Lodge members, spouses of a member, children, grandchildren or wards of a member (designated as legal guardian). The Lodge member applying for or sponsoring an applicant for a scholarship must be a member in good standing in accordance with Article 4 of the Lodge By-Laws.
The Program provides financial support to graduating high school seniors planning to continue their education on full time basis at an accredited two-or four-year college or university and to students who are currently enrolled full time (at least 12 college credits/semester) in an accredited two or four-year college or university. Scholarships are only offered for undergraduate studies. Each year, the Program will establish the number and amounts of awards to be made. Four scholarships (Two for $8,000 and Two for $4,000) are available to eligible applicants for the 2020-2021 academic year. All applicants may reapply in future years but a maximum of four awards can be made to the same individual.
Application Requirements and Evaluation Procedures
- Completed packets with all required information must be in the hands of the Program’s Designated Recipient no later than May 1, 2020 to be considered.
- Applications are available below and at the Lodge Hall. Applications can also be downloaded from the Foundation’s website (http://littleitalyfoundation.org) or from the Lodge’s website (www.littleitalylodge-osia.org) or from its Facebook page (www.Facebook.com/sonsoflittleitaly). Applicants may submit the scholarship application online or manually.
- The application evaluation scoring procedures consist of three ratings obtained by consideration of 1.) the applicant’s academic achievement, 2.) the expected family contribution toward the cost of education and 3.) the quality of an essay provided by the applicant. All applicants will be notified in writing by June 30, 2020 of the Program’s decisions. All award payments will be sent directly to the educational institution and may be applied only to tuition, fees, and on-campus room and board for the 2020-2021 academic year.
2020 La Famiglia Scholarship Program Application Packet
This packet contains the forms needed for application to the La Famiglia Scholarship Program. The following requirements and instructions are to be complied with:
- Be sure to complete all items that pertain to, the applicant, and sponsor on the application. The sponsor must be a Lodge member in good standing and have been a member since May 1, 2019. According to Article 4a of the Lodge By-Laws, a member must have paid his/her Little Italy Lodge dues for 2019 by the first Lodge meeting in 2019 which was January 8, 2019 in order to be considered a member in good standing. If this provision was not met, the membership reinstatement process prescribed in Article 4b of the By-Laws must have been completed. This process must have been fully completed by May 1, 2019, one year in advance of the application due date of May 1, 2020 for the application to be eligible for consideration in 2020.
- The applicant is responsible for arranging to have transcripts for the last three semesters mailed directly to the DESIGNATED RECIPIENT from the school(s) you have attended as indicated in this application.
- Submit with your application a copy of applicable portion of the Student Aid Report (SAR) obtained from filing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) report with the U. S. Department of Education. The portion of the SAR received by the applicant that contains the name of the applicant and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) toward the cost of the applicant’s education must be submitted with the application. If an applicant does not submit this information, financial need will not be one of the three factors considered during the evaluation process.
- The application and all supporting information must be received by the Designated Recipient no later than May 1, 2020. Early submission is strongly encouraged. The application, transcripts (directly from school), EFC information, and essay are to be mailed to :
Ms. Susan Corasaniti, Designated Recipient
8208 Northview Road
Dundalk, MD 21222.
All identifying information will be deleted on copies of the original by the Designated Recipient, who is not part of the evaluation process. The Program will not know the names of the sponsors and applicants until all applications are evaluated and the recipients are selected.
Awards will be paid to the educational institution by September 1, 2020 upon the Program Treasurer’s receipt of an itemized bill from the applicant’s institution.
- The sponsor must have been a member in good standing of the Little Italy Lodge #2286 Order of Sons of Italy in America as stated in the Lodge By-Laws. Article 4a states that to be a member in good standing for 2019, the dues payment must be received by the first 2019 Lodge general membership meeting which is January 8, 2019. If this provision was not met, the member reinstatement process prescribed in Article 4b must have been completed by May 1, 2019 for the application to be eligible for consideration for the 2020-2021 school year.
- The applicant must be a member of the Little Italy Lodge, spouse of a member, child, grandchild, or ward of a member who is designated as legal guardian.
- The applicant must be a full-time student (defined as enrolled for at least 12 credits per semester) in good standing with a grade point average (GPA) of a minimum of 2.5 on a grading scale of 4 (or equivalent). The applicant must have been accepted for enrollment at an accredited two- or four year university or college located in the United States for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- The applicant is encouraged to file the FAFSA Form. The EFC, derived from this filing, will be a factor in the Program’s evaluation process. The Scholarship Evaluation Committee will only see the EFC amount derived from the FAFSA Form. The applicant has the option of not filing the FAFSA Form. If the applicant and/or the applicant’s family choose not to file the FAFSA Form, the area of financial need will receive NO CREDIT for financial need, which is one of the three factors considered during the application evaluation process. Those not filing t he FAFSA Form must indicate so in writing on the application form.
- All awards are contingent on the verified accuracy of the information provided by the applicant and sponsor.
Procedure for Applying for a Scholarship
- The applicant must complete the approved application packet. The application packet must be received no later than May 1, 2020.
- High school or college/university transcripts covering the most recent past three semesters must be forwarded directly to the Designated Recipient from the respective school(s). Transcripts provided personally by the applicant will not be accepted and those with less than three semesters of grades will not be considered. Those who submit transcripts with less than three semesters of grades will receive no credit for this component of the evaluation process.
- The applicant must write an essay, with a maximum of 500 words (see word count application in WORD), addressing this year’s topic:
“The La Famiglia Scholarship Program makes awards to eligible applicants who have demonstrated superior academic performance, are in need of financial aid, and plan to further their education beyond high school. In 500 words or less, inform the Program of a historical or religious Italian figure who has influenced who you are and how you will use this individual’s life as a guide throughout your life.
Present your views in a clear, complete and professional manner, free of spelling, grammatical, and typographical errors. The 500 word limit will be strictly enforced.
The application, transcripts (directly from the school), EFC information, and essay must be forwarded to the DESIGNATED RECIPIENT by MAY 1, 2020 at the following address:
Ms. Susan Corasaniti, Designated Recipient
La Famiglia Scholarship Program
8208 Northview Road
Dundalk, MD 21222
The Designated Recipient will delete all names and references on the corresponding documents that are copied from the original which identify the applicant, the sponsor or the applicant’s family before it is forwarded for evaluation. If any questions arise while completing the application, please contact Susan Corasaniti at 443-695-4483 or email@example.com.
- The La Famiglia Scholarship Program will determine the amount of each financial award.
- All awards payments will be forwarded directly to the institution the applicant will be attending no later than September 1, 2020 and can be applied only to tuition, fees and on-campus room and board.
- Financial awards are for one year only. Applicants may reapply on an annual basis. Awards to the same individual are limited to a maximum of four years.
- The award recipients will be notified by mail and are expected to attend a regularly scheduled monthly Lodge General Meeting to be introduced to the membership and to acknowledge receipt of the scholarship. Those not selected for an award will also be notified by mail.